Sunday, May 4, 2008

Saturday, May 3rd

We left White Rock at 10 am headed into Burnaby and the cemetery where my parents are both buried. Today is my mother, Hildegarde’s, 100th birthday anniversary. She was born May 3, 1908 in Peterborough, ON, the sixth child in the Langfeldt family. I am glad to be in the vicinity on this day and be able to be there….so many years since they passed away (56 for my Dad & 49 for my Mum).
After that, Alan dropped me off at Shirley North’s place for the first VGH 50th Reunion planning meeting….lucky for me to be in town for that, too! There were seven of us: Glenda Porter, Eileen Depeel, Kaso Thune, Joan Howey, Elaine Kelley, Shirley & myself. The reunion will be exactly one year from now and includes a special Tea in our honour given by the VGH Alumnae. The organizing committee are off to a good start and three of the gals are traveling to Harrison this week to do some negotiating. Lots of news will follow from the committee.
It was kind of a stressful day for Kingsley and the driver (Alan) what with all the traffic, potholes in the road and strange territory for us. The coach prefers the highway driving. We were very happy to make it back to our camping spot safe & sound! We will stay put for the next couple of days…lots to do around here.

Friday, May 2nd

We walked all the way into the centre of White Rock (5 km uphill to get there & 5 km downhill to get back) toting the laptop in the backpack and hoping to find a WiFi Hotspot. We found the library and ended up using their computer instead. It was quite a workout for us two oldies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Canadian soil. You and I visited H and H's resting place over 25 years ago but not since. I think it's lovely that you were able to make a stop at the cemetery. I think you meant that it has been 39 years since Hildegarde passed away - not 49. I remember looking out of a second floor window in Sheila Shuley's house on the day of her funeral - I was too young to go and she babysat me. Glad to hear you're catching up with some friends.
Karen